Friday, April 30, 2010

Communication and lack there of

As a communication design major with an option in graphic design, it would seem that communication is something that I will be dealing with for the better part of my life. I have taken classes on the topic, gone to seminars, read books, watched videos and have even sat in on a meditation class that was focused on improving communication skills. However, if I were to rate myself as a communicator, I would have to give myself a C+ at best.

I intend to be an art director someday. This means that I will be in charge of a group of creative individuals, and there is a good chance that I will have to talk to them at least once or twice.

According to eHow, open channels of communication are pivotal. Without them, a workplace is prone to “a negative effect on both productivity and office morale. A lack of workplace communication can lead to such things as gossip, resentment and high staff turnover.”

During my time at The Orion and TGC, I have seen both the benefits of successful channels of communication and the difficulty that can result when those channels are either closed or lacking in some area. I have tried to learn from each experience and see what I can take from the situation.

Top 7 Business provides a list of areas that are necessary for effective workplace communication. Some of these include personal contact, listening, courtesy and consistency.

These are important, but I would like to add a few that I have learned over the past few years, and especially last few months.

Clarify yourself. Do not assume that the person you are speaking with understands what you are trying to say because you do. Keep in mind that different people see things differently.

Reiteration is of the utmost importance. Most people retain only around 33 percent of the information being thrown at them. This means that repeating yourself a few times may be helpful. This can be maximized by also putting it in a form that they can review again later. A communicator can reinforce their spoken message by backing it up with an e-mail or a written document.

Asking questions is extremely helpful. This goes hand-in-hand with listening. There really are no bad questions.

Paraphrasing is a skill that is a key to understanding the needs of others. Try rephrasing their words into your own. This can help to reassure the other person while clarifying the message for yourself.

Communication skills can mean the difference between success and failure, and nowhere is this more evident than in the business world. Deals are made and broken, money is spent and lost, and messages are or are not understood because of excellent or poor communication. It is a necessary skill that should be learned, honed and put into practice on a daily basis.

-Brian Randle

No comments:

Post a Comment